Saturday, January 25, 2014

My birthday

Well, this has been a nice birthday so far. {Smile}

It's been particularly food-oriented. My parents and I had Portuguese sweet bread buns for breakfast. (Yes, they really are bread and really are sweet, unlike some other "sweet bread." {wink})

Then I had a long and leisurely lunch at a nice restaurant with a couple of friends. Talk about a surprise! I've read about birthday lunches with the girls, but I'm not sure I've ever been to one before. Certainly not as the birthday girl. It was such a nice treat! One gave me lotion in a shopping bag with a very cute kitty on it, and the other gave me a card as well as lunch. I had coconut limeade and a mushroom burger, while my friends had wine and I forget which main courses they ordered. We shared cucumber sushi, Italian herb bread, and passion fruit ice cream. (Um, have I mentioned recently that Hawai'i can be quite cheerfully blatant about multiculturalism?) And we talked a talked... we left the restaurant two hours after we got there. {chuckle, HAPPY SMILE}

For dinner, my parents and I had pork with apples for the main course, with buns, sparkling cider, and chocolate cake for dessert. I chose them, and was very happy with the results. My presents are mostly still in the mail, but Dad did give me a book I'd noticed about Nainoa Thompson, who may have helped start the modern Hawaiian Renaissance when he brought back Polynesian navigation and canoe-building techniques as re-creational Archeology. That should be interesting reading. {SMILE}

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! (Really late.) Oh, that lunch sounds lovely (and delicious.) I love going out with friends and talking. We used to have a perfectly wonderful coffee shop about halfway between where my best friend and I live, but it tragically closed down. (They served the best chai tea.) I've never heard of Nainoa Thompson, but he sounds interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Chicory. It's only two days late. {wink, Smile}

    That really was a wonderful lunch. {SMILE}

    Nainoa Thompson is interesting so far. The book is _Hawaiki Rising_ by Sam Low, and looks pretty good. {SMILE}

    Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I love having the title and author's name on hand in case I suddenly need to read on that exact subject. (It does happen sometimes.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought that might help. Knowing it's about Nainoa Thompson would only help if the database uses subject headings as well as author and title. That's fairly common in true libraries, but author and title are useful there, and at places like Amazon and Goodreads too. {Smile}

    Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

    ReplyDelete