Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Happy Girls' Day!

Happy Girls' Day! That is what the third day of third month is by the Japanese calendar. {REALLY BIG GRIN}

My family is celebrating with mochi (rice flour cakes). That is traditional. However, it would be more traditional if we were celebrating with steamed pink, white and green mochi, instead of baked pineapple-coconut mochi. {lick lips} Not that I'm complaining. Traditions are nice, but Mom's latest mochi experiment is delicious! {REALLY BIG GRIN, HUMONGOUS GRIN}

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

5 comments:

  1. Baked pineapple-coconut rice flour cakes.... hrm... maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tristaan, {SMILE}

    Want a recipe for the mochi? I pried one out of Mom last night. I could post a copy when I type it up, if you'd like. {Smile}

    Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rice-flour cakes sounds great. How come we've never heard of Girl's Day? What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the mochi rice-four pastries are great. They're a bit springier and stickier than wheat, but quite tasty. {SMILE}

    I don't know why Girl's Day (March 3) and Boy's Day (May 5) haven't caught on in other parts of the country. Fortunately in Hawai'i we have enough Japanese around, the holiday spread out into the general community.

    I particularly love Girl's Day. I feel that the Japanese really got something right when they decided that celebrating little girls should involve special dolls, and a fancy girls'-and-dolls' tea party. {REALLY BIG GRIN}

    Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

    ReplyDelete